Friday, March 31, 2006

St. John of the Cross.


I'm sure everyone knows Dali's painting, St. John of the Cross. I have it hanging above my bed. I was looking at it last night, and I saw something for the first time. Christ's shadow doesn't make any sense. In fact the entire lighting on the cross doesn't make any sense. The easy explanation would be that it is a surrealist painting, it's not supposed to make sense. But then I looked again. Christ's shadow is looking down on one of the figures in the foreground. That figure is in a darker section than the other two, leading me to believe that he is St. John of the Cross. I think Dali is trying to say that the darkness that the soul must go through to reach God, is Christ's shadow. I'm not sure where this little revelation will lead, if anywhere. I will keep working on it, and maybe eventually I will be able to give a better explanation of its significance.

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

2 comments:

MM said...

Thursday, that was beautiful! Thanks.

Just FYI, you have been tagged at my blog.

Claire said...

Interesting insight. I've always liked that painting, and now here's one more reason. :)