Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Dake Study Bible.

I just found out about this bible a few days ago, and I have to say, what I found out was pretty scary. The translation is just the King James Version, but it is annotated by the Rev. Finis Jennings Dake (1902-1987). The people who use this bible still claim to be Christian, but they have some beliefs that exclude them from that group. Most seem to take the notes as well as the actual scripture as being divinely inspired and without error. This then leads them to accept all of Dake's teachings as truth, even the ones that exclude them from the Christian fold. For example, Dake teaches that the Trinity is made up of three separate "gods," who are only one in unity of purpose. He teaches that each of these three persons has an actual body, and that they live on a physical planet called heaven. He also maintains that Jesus emptied Himself of all his authority at the incarnation, only receiving it back after the Resurrection. So, pretty much Dake denies the Divinity of Christ, but still claims to be Christian. He accuses others of trying to make God to complicated to understand, and doing so makes God merely a man. This bible is not a Christian text. A cult has formed around it, that pretends to be Christian, but is truly not. I hope this helps anyone who has ever used the Dake Bible, and I hope that everyone who reads this does some more in-depth research into why the Dake Bible is not to be trusted.

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I just became a Christian 3 years ago and I had always thought my step father was a Christian, but then he started showing me the Dake bible and talking about all these bizarre teachings. He also told me that there are three gods, and I told him he is totally wrong and that the Trinity is one God manifested in three persons, not three gods. He disagrees and claims to be a Christian even though he is a polytheist. I explained to him that Christianity is a monotheistic religion and that what he is believing is more like a combination of mormonism and other false teachings. It is very scary that people can't see through this stuff. Anytime a person is believing extra biblical writings like the Jehovah's Witnesses have their Watchtower or the Mormoms have their book of Mormon or Dake followers with his writings, people are going to be mislead.

Thursday said...

I wish I knew how long ago you posted this, but all I get is a time. Once an entry goes to the archive, I don't really check to see if it has any replies.
I'm glad you agree, if you read this, come back around 18.ix.05 and I'll have some more up about the Dake Study Bible.