Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Why I fight the Radical Traditionalists.

Is the civil war between conservative Catholics in line with the Magestirium of the Church and those conservative Catholics not in line with the Magestirium really the most important fight we should be engaged in? What about the fight between conservative Catholics and liberal “Catholics?” Isn’t that fight more pressing? Or what about the fight between the Church and all the other Christian denominations? Shouldn’t we hurl ourselves into that breach first? Or, for the sake of argument, what about all the non-Christian religions, shouldn’t we be steadfast in our endeavors there? I’m on a roll here, so what about Theism Vs. Atheism, isn’t that fight more important than this little squabble among siblings. My answer is that our numbers are too small for all of those later fights.
Satan’s greatest tactic is divide and conquer. For all of the latter fights, we must have won the earlier ones. This becomes most evident when dealing with the last fight, Theism Vs. Atheism. If you don’t believe me, merely bring up Pascal’s Wager with an atheist, and you’ll see what I mean. I should have added one more fight to the list, Objective Truth Vs. Subjective truth. It comes at the very end, for there are some Atheists who acknowledge objective truth, but deny the Truth of God.
Tactically speaking, we cannot fight with a divided frontline. Imagine this scenario: During the American Civil War, Canada declared war on both the North and the South, and invaded. The North now has to fight on two fronts, while the South faces stronger attacks on its Northern front. How would each side do? I don’t know, but I can’t imagine that we would give our best possible showing on all fronts. Now let’s dissect that scenario. The South is the Radical Traditionalists, the North is the conservative Catholics bound to the Magestirium, and Canada is the liberal “Catholics.” This analogy can go even further. The Rad Trads are fighting is only one direction, they have only one front, much like our fictional South. Those faithful to the Magestirium must fight on two fronts, against the waves coming from the Right with the Rad Trads, and those coming from the Left with the Liberals; this is like our fictional North fighting the forces from the South and from Canada. And the liberals want both those who support the Magestirium, and the Rad Trads to “get out of the “dark ages,”” like our Canadian invaders, seeing everyone to the south as an enemy.
Can’t you see that it is better for the North to entrench at 44’40” and hold the line until the rebellion in the South can be quelled? It is the same in our real fight. We should not give an inch in our fight with the left, but neither should we undertake a campaign of conquest while we leave our rear flank wide open. You may ask why we shouldn’t shore up our Southern flank, and push ahead in our fight against the left. There are two reasons against doing this. First, there is another enemy beyond the Catholicism of the left, and that is Protestantism, and another enemy after them, et cetera. Second, if we leave the Rad Trads, they will be a constant thorn in our side.
I was going to expand my analogy, having Polar Bears represent the Protestants, Russians the non-Christian religions, and Southern Asia as the Atheists, and Africa as the Relativists; but I decided it would just get to cumbersome. I also didn’t like the idea of staging an invasion over the North Pole. Nonetheless, you get the idea, we have an acre of bickering opponents on one side, and a crack rifle company on the other. It is always best to deal with any insurrections before advancing on an opposing army of superior numbers.
As Always,
Yours in Christ,
Thursday


Update:
This post brought to you by the wonders of Caffeine and Divine Revelation. Stayed up late studying, and just as I finished, this essay just came into my head. Seeing as I'm never one to ignore those sudden inspirations, I decided to write it down while it was still fresh in my mind.
Again,
Yours in Christ,
Thursday

6 comments:

antonia said...

I too find it hard to know what type of religious persuasion I should devote most of my evangelization efforts to....to those caffeteria 'catholics' who contracept, abort, dont bother coming to mass....to those misguided Christian denominations who allow divorce, active homosexuality, claim the Pope is the 'antichrist', to atheists, to non-Christians...etc

Sometimes it helps me to try and think of it in terms of 'who' (/what types of behavious or attitudes) would pain Our Lord most...

The conclusion I come to is those which persecute and insult the dignity of man, those which are uncharitable and unloving, and those which persecute and disobey His Church (as Christ showed when he spoke to Saul on the road to Damascus (who then become St. Paul), persecuting Christ's Church is on par with persecuting Christ Himself...)


Just my 2 cents..

-x-

Anonymous said...

Interesting analogy. However, I see it in the realm of languages...which language are you skilled at speaking? Ex-protestants-turned Catholics can speak the language of Catholism to their protestant friends. Catholic reverts speak the re-discovery of the Faith to fallen away Catholics. Likewise, former atheists can reach out to their atheists colleagues. Sometimes, I just have no words to say except a silent prayer... Some people chose to be willfully ignorant and cannot be reached by words...only by prayer & actions.

antonia said...

Just to second that...

As St. Francis said;
"Preach always and everywhere, and occasionally use words"

Dak-Ind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dak-Ind said...

Greetings... I had to comment. This is just my story. I wonder how many others are like me!?!
I grew up catholic. i can remember the reverence and the beauty. the silence. i can still hear the fathers amazing sing song voice sometimes, in the still quiet night. i, like many other children waited for that moment, to see if i could tell just when the wine became the blood. Fast Forward to 5 months ago. I asked Saint Marys to preform the christening of my son. I asked which records i would need to show the preist, marriage records, birth records. you know the kind. I was told "we do not need to see marriage records. there are so many unwed mothers these days we feel that it would be discriminatory to require it" ! I do not attend anymore. it is discriminatory for a religion that beleives in the sanctity of marriage and procreation to require LEGITIMACY!?!?! disillusioned... you bet.

DP said...

I hope you don't mean that you're not participating in the Sacraments any more simply because your parish priest believed it would be discriminatory to ask for a marriage certificate (as flawed as this may seem...).