Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Baba Yetu


I was going to post on this song when I had second, but I found out something that is just too cool. The song is called "Baba Yetu," and is the opening music for the game Civilization IV. You can download it here. Clicking on the link plays the song, right-clicking (or control-clicking for my Mac friends) lets you download it. Baba Yetu is Swahili for Our Father. Yup, that's right, a mainstream game has the Lord's Prayer sung at the beginning. The composer's name is Christopher Tin, here's his website. It has some samples of his work, all of which is very good. The singers are "Talisman A Cappella," a group from Stanford, who as you can tell, are very talented.
Ok, let me just say I don't like suburban white choirs singing african spirituals in church, I think it is just wrong. I'm not saying I want to hear Baba Yetu in church, just that I like the song. If I ever go to South Africa, then I wouldn't mind hearing it, but not in the U.S..
Oh, one more thing. Did you notice the image with the post? That is the screen that comes up when you are the first to discover theology in Civ. IV. When you do that, your civ. founds Christianity. I thought it was nice that they used bread and wine as the symbols for Christianity. WIthout them there could be no Eucharist.

That's all for now.
Yours in Christ,
Thursday

3 comments:

MM said...

Thursday, I think that African music, particularly praise music, is the BEST in the world. I spend a lot of time in Africa because of it. Great to hear from you at Vocatum! Come back soon!

Kei said...

I must agree. I love African for the best for world music. We should have them in our Novus Ordo instead of cheezy hymns, and get the official NO language to be beautiful Kiswahili ;)

From slave spirituals to African rhythms to Afro-cubano beats, they all are beautifully melodic. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

We've all heard the Our Father so many times. Hearing the Baba Yetu shows us that our faith and beliefs are shared by everyone around the world. I love this and I would love to hear a priest that can deliver the Baba Yetu to a congregation.