Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Death now a crime. Punishable by death?

Biritiba Mirim, a city in Brazil, is voting on a new city regulation. This law would make it illegal to die. The city of 28,000 people does not have any more room in its cemetery, and is prohibited from building a new one due to environmental laws. Apparently, 98% of this city is conservation land, and nothing can be built on it, including burial grounds. The city doesn't expect the law to bring the mortality rate to zero. It is mainly being used as a protest against the strict environmental laws in the area. The city is also asking its inhabitants to take cares not to die in the near future. You can read the full story here at the BBC. You realize, in the Old Testiment, this would be considered "testing the Lord, thy God."

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

2 comments:

Clark B. said...

I oughtta get some money together and build a luxury high rise mausoleum down there.

It could have a funeral parlor on the main floor complete with flower shop and 60 stories of spaces for the dead.

I am about to make up some wild numbers since I know nothing of land prices of burial costs in Brazil but if I get the building for $100,000 and keep my operating costs to about $100,000 per year and had room for 2400 bodies selling each space at $1000 I could make a killing.

I would have to hire a doorman because people would just be dying to get in (terrible, I know).

MM said...

... they do have a floating Christmas tree...