Friday, December 09, 2005

The Inclusive Worshiper

I'm actually kind of jealous, if this page is satire, the writer is excellent. Check it out here.
I'm also jealous because I know his traffic is higher than mine, after all most of St. Blogs is talking about him/her/it. I still strongly believe this is satire, but I'm going to pull a Adam Wayne on it. For those of you not in the know, that would mean treat it seriously. I coined the name myself, so I figure I'm the only one really in the know! It comes from this passage in Napoleon of Notting Hill.


"Suppose I am God," said the voice, "and suppose I made the world
in idleness. Suppose the stars, that you think eternal,
are only the idiot fireworks of an everlasting schoolboy.
Suppose the sun and the moon, to which you sing alternately,
are only the two eyes of one vast and sneering giant, opened alternately
in a never-ending wink. Suppose the trees, in my eyes, are as
foolish as enormous toad-stools. Suppose Socrates and Charlemagne
are to me only beasts, made funnier by walking on their hind legs.
Suppose I am God, and having made things, laugh at them."

"And suppose I am man," answered the other. "And suppose that I
give the answer that shatters even a laugh. Suppose I do not
laugh back at you, do not blaspheme you, do not curse you.
But suppose, standing up straight under the sky, with every power
of my being, I thank you for the fools' paradise you have made.
Suppose I praise you, with a literal pain of ecstacy,
for the jest that has brought me so terrible a joy.
If we have taken the child's games, and given them the seriousness
of a Crusade, if we have drenched your grotesque Dutch garden
with the blood of martyrs, we have turned a nursery into a temple.
I ask you, in the name of Heaven, who wins?"


That is one of my favorite passages in all of Chesterton's works.
I hope you join us at the Inclusive Worshiper's, it's quite a jolly time.
Yours in Christ,
Thursday

P.S.
Be sure to read the posts from the bottom up, it's the only way it makes sense.

5 comments:

antonia said...

That includive worshipper is one bizairre site!

MM said...

Dear Thursday, your own wit and notable appreciation of Our New Friend IW has earned you a link in my sidebar- great to meet you. Keep up the good work. IW stands to be routed out yet, and we are hard at work here at it here at YDS.

MM said...

... and I too am totally jealous, irritated, etc. that I didnt think of this IW scheme first. Brilliant.

Claire said...

I, too, am having a blast at IW's site. I also find it quite funny that many of the people who oppose him most vocally are college students--the ones he says are going to succeed the reactionary "old guard" and bring views like his to the mainstream. :)

Nice blog, btw.

Thursday said...

I'm rather annoyed I didn't think of it before this either! Well, no matter, I think Tradition in Action has the same ideas about me that I do about my good friend Lucian Gregory (IW).
Yours in Christ,
Thursday