Friday, December 02, 2005

MegaChurches

Now, I've only ever been to one "megachurch," and that was definitely enough. I just don't see the point of cramming 10,000 people in for one service week after week. (World Youth Day is different, it's only every couple of years, and it's with the Pope.) The megachurch that I visited was Southeast Christian Church, in Louisville KY. Here's the outside of the Church:
This is the Church that one of my pair of Grandparents go to. They are very nice and holy people, they just go to church in a building that looks like an airport. If you don't believe me, look at this picture of the main atrium:
Once you get to the sanctuary, however, you lose the feeling of being in an airport, and start to feel you're in a convention center. Have a look at these images:

They do have a "smaller" chapel for weddings. I guess they figure most people are not going to be inviting 10,000 guests to their wedding. The "smaller" chapel only holds 500 people, and actually looks like a church.
Well, it doesn't look like a church that makes me think of the majesty of God, but it's a step towards that goal. I really just don't get the point. This is not just a church, it has a library, gyms, conference rooms, a youth assembly (fancy word for a stage.), and a whole lot more. And when I say gym, I don't just mean a small room with an old set of free weights for the pastor, I mean this:
Now, don't get me wrong, I like big churches. But my definition of big is seats maybe 1,500 tops, and has flying buttresses. If a church is going to seat more than 1,000 people I demand flying buttresses galore. That and mosaics, floor and ceiling. Oh, and it needs a dome, the dome is what really seals the deal. This church has none of that, and close to ten times the seating. As I said, I just don't get it.
My ideal church would be Westminster Cathedral which looks like this:
It can be forgiven its lack of flying buttresses because it has a dome, and because of these:


So there you have it, what every church with seating for more than 1,000 should look like.

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

9 comments:

DP said...

When I lived in England I spent a lot of time in Westminster Cathedral... thanks for the pics, they brought back memories :-). The pictures of Westminster that is, not the mega church. With regards to the mega church, I wonder how accountability and community life are in a church that size...

DP said...

By the way, the grossest McDonalds in the world (in my opinion) is the one on your immediate right if facing the entrance to Westminster Cathedral.

antonia said...

wo! Was that airport/conference centre Church a CATHOLIC Church...?!!!!!!!!
It is horrendous!

Thursday said...

No, Southeast is a Christian church (i.e. nondenominational). I have only been to it once, and that was enough.
I have been to Westminster Cathedral twice, once to visit the Eric Gill stations, and once for Mass. The time I was there for Mass, the presider was an American who grew up in New York city. I have to say it was a somewhat surreal experience.
Yours in Christ,
Thursday

antonia said...

phew! I am pleased to hear it's not a Catholic Church.

I have been put to shame by you two non-English people...I've never been to Westminster Cathedral...ever...!

Beth Danae said...

I agree mega churches are less than ideal. I don't see how they can really meet people on a personal level, not to mention what they do with all the money they rake in.

Anonymous said...

That "worship place" looked like the senate chamber in the new Star Wars. BTW, which way is east there (ad orientem) ;)

Thursday said...

You're right, all it needs in Jar-Jar starting the empire to be the senate chamber. They don't even have an altar, so I'm not sure they thought about direction when they built it. They do have a passion play each year at Easter, and who knew it could be done as a musical!

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

Anonymous said...

I have heard that church is called "Six Flags Over Jesus."