Thursday, January 26, 2006

Two new Caravaggio's discovered!




The BBC has a story on two Caravaggio's that were found hanging in a French church. They are both similar to other known Caravaggio's, but he did like to do multiple copies of scenes. The paintings are of Saint Thomas Putting his Finger on Christ's Wound and the Pilgrimage of Our Lord to Emmaus. The top one is not the version that was found, I couldn't get a picture of that. The bottom one however is the version found in France.

Caravaggio has always been my favorite artist. His gift is to capture all the emotion of the scene in the darkness surrounding it. His greatest work is undoubtedly this version of "The Taking of Christ" hanging in Dublin:


Yours in Christ,
Thursday

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also a big Caravaggio fan. My favorites would have to be, "The Calling of Saint Matthew," in Rome, and the neighbor to the 2nd "Conversion of Paul," "The Crufifixion of Peter." The latter spent a long time on my desktop before getting booted by my niece and nephew. The humanism displayed is both accurate and symbolic. Notice how dirty Thomas's finger is as he sticks it into Jesus. I love how in "The Calling," Michelangelo borrows from Buonarroti and places God's hand from "Creation" on Jesus to point out Matthew, demonstrating how the tax collector is now a new creation.

I could go on but I'm supposed to be working.

CMK

Anonymous said...

I do not think this newly found "second version" of "Supper at Emmaus" is genuine. The anatomy and facial types are all wrong, and the almost 3-D and atmospheric skills are missing. It does not show the Master's hand. I know that Caravaggio did paint a very few replicas, such as the Lute player (2 versions, one at the Hermitage in St.Petersburg, and the other in a private, New york collection), but this picture is clearly by a copyist. I hope that I will be proven wrong, as I am . like the blog owner, a great admirer of Caravaggio's work. He should travel to Kansas City, Missouri. We have THE most stunning "St.John the Baptist in the wilderness, complet with undermarkings by Caravaggio 's brush handle, used to draw the edge and anatomy of the saint's knee! best wishes, robert Haas

Anonymous said...

I agree Robert but I'm surprised Jose Freches confirmed them as genuine if the published photograph of Supper at Emmaeus is anything to go by, haven't seen the discovered one of Doubting Thomas yet so may that be my call if so