Thursday, January 12, 2006


You know how I said that this depiction of St. Sebastian's martyrdom by Gerrit Van Honthorst was my favorite? Well, after looking through a couple hundred others I have decided it is the ONLY depiction I like. Pre-1400s, they tended to overdo the arrows, making him look like a pin cushion. In the 1700s-1800s, they forgot about the arrows altogether. In the 1900s-2000s? I have seen every celebrity depicted as Sebastian, female Sebastians, Sebastians pierced by planes, and a violin standing in for Sebastian. But the modern depictions are mostly just soft-core gay erotica. It seems really strange that only one artist in 1500 years has been able to do the subject justice. Oh well. . . I wonder what search hits I will get for some of the phrases in this post?

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

No comments: