Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Game for Catholic Nerds.

Every time I have visited an art museum, such as the National Gallery in London, I have played "The Catholic Nerd Game." Basically, you look at the works that have saints, and try to identify the saints by their symbols. It requires a fair knowledge of iconography, and hagiography, hence the name. The artists could be very tricky, and liked to used obscure (well obscure now.) saints, or little known symbols. I have decided to make "The Catholic Nerd Game" a part of my blog. Each day (hopefully) I will post a picture, and you can try to identify the saints. I probably should make a nomenclature for the order identifying the saints, as some of the altar pieces cram a lot on. So, start on the left, and work right, if there are multiple rows, identify the row with the bottom being row 1. Leave dashes where you cannot identify a saint.
Here's the first one. I chose a fairly easy one. Good luck!


You can click for a larger image.

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

P.S.
I'm back at University, so I should have an easier time updating.

3 comments:

Mary Liz said...

Oooh! My siblings and I used to play this game all the time. (Yes our mother took us to many museums and we were little Catholic nerds)

Not quite sure what some of the stuff is in the pic...like that little white animal...I'm assuming its a lamb.

Scholastica/ -?-/ Anne or Elizabeth?/ Mary/ Jesus/ John/ Andrew/ Benedict/ Agnes

Thursday said...

clue for second from left: "Do I smell Perfume?"
clue for third from left: "Bilocation? that's a neat trick!"

Yours in Christ,
Thursday

antonia said...

That's a great game! (welcome back by the way!)

- Scolastica
- ?
- ?
- Mary
- Jesus
- I think John
- ?
- Benedict
- Agnes

I dunno how many I got right as some as just guesses (like Agnes I guess cos she has a little lamb by her)

by the way, how are you going to find out the right answers?

:-)
-x-x-